What I learned today:
- Oatmeal for breakfast was tasty, but still didn't sustain me long. Neither did my chunky salad at 10 a.m. The only thing that held me over today was - surprise! - my husband's white beans. He prepared them with garlic, tarragon, and a warm vinaigrette with a sweet vinegar, and they were awesome. THIS is the right kind of eating. It doesn't feel deprived in the least, and was completely satisfying.
- It is still unwise to exercise on a full stomach, even if that stomach is full of vegan food.
- I find myself successfully resisting cheese and cold cuts as snacks. I turn instead to nuts and toast with peanut butter.
- Always the student, I want to get more creative. I order a few vegan cookbooks from the library. I want to see what we can do without using soy-based meat mimics. I think I can feel satisfied without the taste or texture of meat. The possibilities are already almost endless.
- For dinner we have pizza. My homemade sauce is meat-based only in that the meatballs that cook in it give it flavor. I find myself wondering whether I can make a good sauce without the meat. Mushrooms are probably my best bet. I'll look into it.