1. Sugar cookies actually don't taste very good. They're more fun to decorate than to eat. In fact, most things people bake this time of year aren't very good. I can't tell you how many times this week I've put out my hand to take something, then realized it actually wouldn't even be worth it. It's a conspiracy, man.
2. If children are involved in the making, plating, or serving of any holiday foods, you should abstain. Not only will you save yourself some calories, you might manage not to have a cold on Christmas, either.
3. You want to look good on New Years Eve, don't you? Put down the second serving of yule cake, sister. Otherwise you might as well slap it on your thighs.
4. Alcohol counts too. Eat your calories or drink them; they're all going to the same place.
5. Take time to eat the things you really love this week. The things that make you think of home, and happy moments. What are your best holiday memory-foods? I would love to hear them. Mine are all Italian: 7 fishes, panettone, stuffed vinegar peppers. Eating them will satisfy you. Even just a few bites will take you where you want to go.